Share this Post
Does your website put food on the table? Clothes on your back? A roof over your head?
So I’m always honoured when a client asks me to write (and sometimes design) their website.
I mean, it’s a mammoth responsibility turning someone’s vision into a living, breathing, tangible THING. A thing upon which their entire business or living depends.
If you’ve ever been tasked with sorting out your company website, you’ll know precisely what I mean.
Because when your website is your shop, your salesman and your business card—all rolled into one… it’s kind of a big deal.
The truth is, it takes serious blood, sweat and tears to create a captivating website. Especially one your customers find irresistible (which is sort of the point).
Getting there often requires a challenging blend of clarity, insight, science and art.
But, get it right and it can mean the difference between people picking up the phone to you, or—horror of horrors—hot-footing it to your competitor for a let’s-do-business powwow.
If you’re delivering a new website (or refreshing an old one), here are some bite-sized tips I’ve collated to give you a champion head start.
- Wondering what people really, honestly think of your website? (Auntie Mabel, doesn’t count). This free user testing tool: Peek, might just be what you’re looking for. Enter your URL and a five minute video of a real person using your site will magically pop into your inbox.
- Trying to optimise your website, but don’t know where the sweet kwanzaa to start with SEO? This will help.
- Do I really need a copywriter? This is what happens when your employees write your website.
- Struggling to choose a design? 15 examples of the best website homepage design examples.
- Still dithering? Brainstorm it out with eight strangers. If you’re in Cambridge and looking for skies-the-limit (and sales-pitch-free) inspiration, check out Cambridge Small Business Mastermind Group. It’s a collaborative, problem-solving breakfast, in a comfy co-working space.
- Using Webmaster Tools to raise your game? Start now.
- I’ve been there. What to do when your website gets hacked.
- For when you’re sick to death of editing your website (hands up if you’ve been there?). Click “destroy this site” at the bottom of the page, and blow the page to pieces, Space Invaders style!
Wrangling with that website of yours? If you can’t see the wood for the apple trees… or you’re looking for clear, punchy words to help you stand out from the crowd, drop us a line.
Share this Post
Want more posts like this?